You’ll be surprised to find out that most bedding contains a host of toxic chemicals. And seeing how we spend a third of our lives sleeping, you can see why this can be hazardous to your health over the course of your lifetime.
Ingredients in bedding can include:
- Fire-retardant chemicals (PBDE) “Polybrominated Diphenal Ether”
- Boric acid.
- Toxic dyes.
- Pesticides & herbicides.
Unfortunately, according to People For Clean Beds.org , laws make it so that conventional bedding has to include some of these chemicals, specifically the fire retardant chemicals.
You should care what’s in your bedding because these toxic chemicals can leach into your skin while you sleep. Our skin absorbs everything it touches, it is a huge sponge, which is why it is so important to pay attention to what we expose it to.
So finding a solution to this problem would be to find organic bedding that doesn’t include any of these chemicals and can take in moisture as we sweat while we sleep.
From their site: We feature organic and natural (meaning natural latex which is the milky sap from a tree), AFFORDABLE bedding such as organic sheet sets, organic blankets. Nest Bedding is one of the few Factory Direct online mattress providers. We have an industry leading lifetime warranty on all mattress and an industry first Lifetime Comfort Guarantee.
- USA made mattresses starting at $599 Queen size.
- Natural and Certified mattresses handmade. Supportive, strong steel platforms and solid hardwood, sustainable platform beds size.
- We have GOTS Certified organic sheets sets.
My recommendations for buying bedding…
- Buy sheets that have not been dyed
- Buy cotton, hemp, or bamboo sheets (you want breathable sheets)
- Do not buy latex, even if it is natural
- Buy down or wool filling for your comforter
- For pillows, buy buckwheat filling
Both dyed sheets and latex bedding require chemical processing in order to make. Even though dyes are considered low-impact, it’s still chemicals being used to process it.