This is the mother of all herbs when it comes to the liver. There isn’t an herb out there that fights for the liver like this one. It is a complete liver tonic. It is an herb that protects the liver and improves liver function drastically. This herb can also treat and cure liver cirrhosis, chronic hepatitis which is liver inflammation, and toxin induced liver damage. It can even prevent severe liver damage from Amanita Phalloides (‘death cap’ mushroom poisoning). It is just an amazing detoxifier.
Benefits of Milk Thistle:
- Treats gallbladder disorders
- Treats heartburn and loss of appetite
- Treats liver damage and repairs the liver from toxic chemicals, medications, and chemotherapy
- Treats type 2 diabetes by reducing insulin resistance and decreasing glucose levels
- Treats liver cirrhosis, jaundice, and cholangitis (inflammation of bile ducts)
- Lowers cholesterol
- Restores metabolism and increases fat loss
- Reduces growth of cancer cells in breast, cervical, and prostrate cancers
- Hangover cure as it detoxifies the liver after heavy drinking
Contains: Silymarin, Linoleic Acid, Flavonoids, Polyphenolic Molecules, Extracts that might act like estrogen
Cautions: This herb decreases the effectiveness of liver medications and it might decrease hormones in the body and the effectiveness of estrogen pills. Don’t take if allergic to ragweed, chrysathemums, marigolds, daises, and related plants. Don’t take if you have had a hormone-related cancer. This herb can interfere with seizure medications. It is not for pregnant women or children and has a gentle and mild laxative effect.
Directions: This herb is not extracted in water effectively and therefore should not be drank as a tea.
- Grind 3/4 cup full seeds, pour blended seeds into sterilized canning jar (you can sterilize a jar by leaving it in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes and let cool), pour 1 cup 100 proof alcohol (vodka, brandy, gin) and 1 cup water over the seeds, stir and mix, screw lid on tightly and place jar in a cool, dark environment.
- Let it set 3-5 weeks.
- Shake the jar everyday so the seeds stay saturated.
- Combine 1 cup 100 proof alcohol with 1 cup water. Reserve this in a covered container to replace any liquid in the other jar if the seeds become exposed or the liquid levels drop.
- After 3-5 weeks, pour the mixture through a sieve or mesh container into a smaller container and seal.
- Take 15-25 drop 4-5 times daily.
Starwest Botanicals Inc. carries organic, premium Milk Thistle and Amazon.com carries inexpensive sieves Here along with mason jars Here. You should be able to find the alcohol at your local liquor or grocery store. If you don’t feel like making it and just want to buy the extract, Starwest Botanicals Inc. also sells organic Milk Thistle Herbal Extracts that are excellent. 🙂